Presently, a sizeable population of drug addicts is confined in Punjab Jails. The Prisons Department has devised a drug rehabilitation programe in light of the National Narcotics Control Policy 2010. All the drug addicts are confined in separate barracks and these barracks are declared as drug rehabilitation centres by the Jail Administration. Medical Officer Jail is deputed to check these drug addicts regularly and provide them specialized medical treatment. The following steps has been taken by Prisons Administration to eliminate use and presence of drugs and rehabilitation of drug addicts:
- Daily drill / PT, observance of Prayers, prohibition on smoking in rehabilitation center.
- Canceling lecture by Religious Teacher and Medical Officer Jail.
- Proper menu of diet as recommended by Foot & University of Agriculture Science & Technology, Faisalabad.
- Health education / counseling
- Special attention towards cleanliness / daily bathing
In case of emergency (severe withdrawal symptoms) prisoner may be referred to concerned DHQ / Teaching Hospitals for specialized treatment. Special rehabilitation ward has been established at Jail Hospitals of Central Jail, Lahore and District Jail, Lahore for acute drug addicts after their admission in the Jails.
In this regard a comprehensive SOP has been issued by Inspector General of Prisons Punjab to all regional commands and Superintendents of Jails for strict compliance to improve the condition of drug addicts. However, Inspectorate of Prisons has issued strict directions to all the DIG Prisons and Superintendents of Jails to launch crack down operations in the Jails against the presence and use of narcotics.